Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Dad, the Postman

I was always so excited for my dad to get home from carrying the mail. I would look for a little bag of candy or a pack of gum. But most of all I would run into his arms and get a big hug and kiss. He would pick me up and swing me around and ask how I was and then go find Mama to give her a hug and kiss. Of course he would greet the other children in the same way, but I thought I was special, being the youngest. I was two or three at the time.

My dad began carrying the mail when he was sixteen years old. His dad had a postal contract when he died of pneumonia. My dad fulfilled the contract, therefore supporting his mother and sisters. Dad continued to bid on the contract for carrying the mail for many years. The route was over a sixteen mile stretch of rough roads which were unpaved. He had to ride a horse with saddlebags, rain or snow and protect the mail. Once or twice a week he took a wagon to carry the packages to the rural area. Most people ordered their clothes from catalogs which were then shipped to their homes by way of the postal service. Every spring people ordered baby chicks which had to be delivered right away. Many people ordered saddles or riding gear or other items for their farm.

Twice a year the large catalog companies sent out their big catalogs. These were always heavy and required a wagon. The main catalogs were: Sears & Roebuck, Spiegel, Aldens, and Bellas Hess (for women and children). Later J. C. Penney began mailing their catalogs.

Many people sent a grocery list by my dad to have him bring their groceries, as there were very few cars or trucks and the roads were undrivable, especially in the winter time. Sometimes the roads were so bad my dad had to walk his horse through the mud instead of riding it.

There were a few General Stores along the road to town. Some items could not be found in the General Stores. Dad was so big hearted and kind, he woudl not refuse anyone request for groceries or items from town. He was loved by everyone.

As the years passed, work began on the county roads and they were passable for automobiles. We got a truck and dad was able to carry the mail in it if it wasn't raining or snowing. Later when I was nine my dad became a postmaster and had a General Store.  Patricia Phillips Kincer; Sept. 8, 2012

1 comment:

  1. That is so amazing to me. The story sounds like it should have been told in the days of Laura Ingalls Wilder rather than in your lifetime.

    ReplyDelete